Tim Allen on 22 Dec 2018 13:48:52 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Git: net time gain or loss?

Thanks for the corrections, it has been a long time since I've dug into what git does behind the scenes... it does store in deltas in packfiles. What I was thinking of was the pointer based branching; the days I dreaded in svn were creating a branch, and having enough time to run out for lunch while it did its munging.

I agree that if Mercurial or Bazaar had gained the usage that git did, I'd probably be using it. GitHub was certainly a large player in that: it got rid of a lot of the annoyances of sites like SourceForge. The original tagline of "Social Coding" was smart as well; Facebook for developers. :) They did a lot of things right, even if some of the founders had all the worst qualities of the stereotype "brogrammer." I think the many of the same questions could be asked about Stack Overflow; right place, right idea, right time.

Rewriting revision history is another case of "great power, great responsibility." For years I yearned for an `svn obliterate` (as have many), after someone checked in a huge video file to version control.

Bottom line: I can't imagine living without version control.

Regards,

Tim

On Sat, Dec 22, 2018 at 3:59 PM JP Vossen <jp@jpsdomain.org> wrote:
On 12/22/18 10:59 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
> Actually, it is the opposite.  With git EVERY commit makes a complete
> copy of the code base, whether branching or otherwise.  Ironically
> cvs/subversion actually did store deltas with regular commits (not
> sure offhand about branches).

CVS did that, SVN does not.  SVN is like Git; each commit in SVN is a
complete copy of the *entire* repo at an atomic point in time.  But
every file is just a pointer to the last one, except for what you changed.

See more details in my previous reply.

> However, git also makes use of content-hashing deduplication at both
> the directory and file level, and packing does further compression on
> top of this.  So, these copies don't cost much.

Yeah, SVN doesn't do the hashing de-dup because it's dealing with files
& paths, not blobs.  That's a really big Git win in my server config
example from yesterday:
        2.7G of config files
                From around 200 (very similar) servers
                Checked into Git daily