Rich Freeman on 23 Dec 2018 04:24:49 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Git: net time gain or loss?

On Sat, Dec 22, 2018 at 3:58 PM JP Vossen <jp@jpsdomain.org> wrote:

> CVS did that, SVN does not.  SVN is like Git; each commit in SVN is a
> complete copy of the *entire* repo at an atomic point in time.  But
> every file is just a pointer to the last one, except for what you changed.

I was just referring to the on-disk format.  According to the
documentation svn still stores files as reverse-diffs similar to
cvs/rcs.  Now, the server may ensure that the commit is done and
presented atomically.

Granted, I'm not sure it is an important distinction as while on one
level git stores entire distinct files, in reality they tend to get
packed which compresses them and that basically turns the entire
repository into a mishmash of consolidated repetitive sequences.

But, when you're actually inspecting commits/trees/blobs directly
you'll never see a diff stored - any diffs you see in git output are
generated on the fly by comparing two commits and their associated
trees/blobs.

--
Rich