Walt Mankowski on 4 Feb 2019 08:13:32 -0800

Re: [PLUG] We need speakers for February

On Sun, Feb 03, 2019 at 04:10:38PM -0500, Charlie Li wrote:
> On 03/02/2019 13:35, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> > Keith C. Perry:
> >> Nothing wrong with general discussions either...
> >
> > I'm working on a new book. If you guys are desparate I suppose I could
> > talk about that.  When do you need a speaker for?
> >
> Central is this coming Wednesday (6 February); North is next Tuesday (12
> February). The same original speaker for both had to cancel in one fell
> swoop. I'd be down to hearing about your new book, and I'm sure many
> others would be as well. It's been a while.

I was thinking I'd schedule myself for North since I've already got
that talk written, but Central's the big problem since it's just 2
days away at this point. If Eric feels like he can talk about his book
on 2 days notice I'll put him on the schedule. Otherwise I guess we'll
just say it's "general discussion" and head to the bar/pizza place a
little earlier.

> Alternatively, for at least one of these meetings, we could reboot (pun
> intended) an intro series/talk of some sort. Even though we tend to
> focus on advanced topics, I got some feedback from the local community
> that there's not only not enough introductory Unix/Linux/open source
> content in talks and such (things tend to focus on branded items like
> Kubernetes and Docker and the various cloud stuff to say the least), but
> there's some demand for an "apprenticeship" (don't read into that word
> too much, just think of something guided at most) in Unix/Linux/open
> source. I could probably whip up an intro talk or demo on short notice
> for this month, just know that both meetings this month bookend business
> events I have to be at…

That sounds great, I'm just worried about the short notice for this
month.

Walt