Keith C. Perry on 21 Jun 2019 15:47:00 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Best method for making home Linux system available remotely?

I run OpenVPN over HTTPs (TCP 443).  That works very well and has saved me often.  You could run it over TCP 22 if you wanted though.

Another option that I would recommend is Apache Guacamole which would provide you an HTTPS to VNC, RDC or SSH bridge.  I'll be doing that presso in the not too distance future (I haven't talked to the schedulers yet to lock it in).

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Managing Member, DAO Technologies LLC
(O) +1.215.525.4165 x2033
(M) +1.215.432.5167
www.daotechnologies.com

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jon Boone" <ipmonger@delamancha.org>
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Sent: Friday, June 21, 2019 6:27:40 PM
Subject: [PLUG] Best method for making home Linux system available remotely?

Hi folks,

  I’m looking for the best method of making my home Linux machine reachable from off-premises. Due to lack of robust IPv6 support in most remote places I am likely to frequent, it needs to be IPv4 compatible. Ports 443 and 22 specifically are what I’m after, though I’m not opposed to port forwarding through SSH.

Suggestions welcome.

—jon