Walt Mankowski via plug on 24 Jul 2019 08:15:53 -0700

Re: [PLUG] backup help needed

On Wed, Jul 24, 2019 at 03:02:39PM +0000, Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy via plug wrote:
> when using the -a you should be as root or using sudo.

That's only true if he wants to copy files that don't belong to
him. It sounded like he only wanted to copy his home directory. At
any rate if that was his problem he would have gotten permissions
errors.

> I like using rsync since only the updated and latest files will be backed up.
>
> The external drive should be mounted for this to work.  Also the
> external drive should be partitioned and formatted with a Linux /
> BSD file system like ext4, zfs, or whatever you prefer.

Since he said that everything was copied except for his dot
directories I assumed he'd figured out how to format and mount it. :)