Rich Kulawiec via plug on 1 Aug 2019 13:12:55 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Why can't mutt open a tab in Firefox?

On Tue, Jul 30, 2019 at 04:43:13PM -0400, Alan McConnell via plug wrote:
> Now: I pull down a message from my account at his.com,
> and it turns out to have lots of html in it.  The way
> to deal with this AFAIK is to open it with 'v' and
> that is _supposed_ to open the E-mail in a browser.

Yes, it is.  But which browser depends on what's in your ~/.mailcap,
so if -- for example -- you want to use w3m, then putting this in:

	text/html; w3m -dump -T text/html %s | less

will cause that to happen.  I recommend using w3m, by the way, because
it's a text-only browser, thus will run in the tty window that mutt's
using and will minimize your exposure to Javascript and other things
that can often be problematic.

Similarly, if your ~/.mailcap has lines like this:

	image/jpeg; /usr/bin/eom %s >/dev/null
	application/pdf; /usr/bin/evince %s

then attachments of types JPG and PDF will be fed to eom and evince
respectively.  You can thus customize attachment handling to a great
degree and it'll work nicely as long as the message itself marked
the MIME types of those attachments correctly.

---rsk