Walt Mankowski via plug on 1 Aug 2019 13:28:59 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Why can't mutt open a tab in Firefox

On Thu, Aug 01, 2019 at 03:25:44PM -0400, Alan McConnell via plug wrote:
> I posted about this a couple of days ago but got ZERO response.
> Am I the only person on this E-list who uses mutt and exim4?

I use mutt + postfix, though I really don't see what the MTA has to do
with it. I've never tried to open an entire email in a web browser
tab. Instead I render them inline. In my .muttrc I have

  # html mail
  # if there is only html dump that
  auto_view text/html

  # this helps with multipart messages
  alternative_order text/plain text/html

The corresponding line in my .mailcap is

  text/html; /usr/bin/w3m -dump -T text/html '%s'; copiousoutput; description=HTML Text; nametemplate=%s.html

To be honest, though, this generally does a really poor job of
rendering HTML. I've long since given up trying to read them in
mutt. Instead what I do is store them in an imap folder. I've got
dovecot installed as my IMAP server and then I read them in a GUI
email client (generally Apple Mail).

Sometimes, though, I just want to open a single URL that I see in a
terminal window. That could be in an email, or an IRC channel, or just
about anywhere. In the Ubuntu terminal you can right-click on a URL
and there's an "Open link" option that will open the link in a tab in
Chromium. I didn't have to do anything to set that up; it worked out
of the box first time I tried it.

> Anyway, I did some googling(actually duckduckgo-ing, of course)
> and got the problem very satisfactorily fixed.  If anyone
> needs a description, just send me E-mail off list.

Sometimes you ask a question and even with the collected knowledge of
PLUG nobody knows the answer. It happens. Try not to take it personally.

Walt