JP Vossen via plug on 25 Oct 2019 10:54:05 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Ubuntu effort to make GNOME shell faster

On 10/25/19 12:25 PM, jeff via plug wrote:
On 10/25/19 12:09 PM, JP Vossen via plug wrote:
I think Cinnamon is JS too, and while I really like it, it has gotten way too slow on my older (and un-accelerated) hardware

I remember your ... ummm... less sizable thing... the Dell laptop.
Those things were anemic out of the chute but handy.

Dell Mini9, 32-bit Atom, and the 32-bit part is getting hard to find. :-/ But I'm also thinking my $WORK VM on Windows 8 + VirtualBox and other old hardware.

so I use XFCE
now.  That's not as "slick" but it's a LOT faster.

Xubuntu ftw.
Been using it forever, even on new hardware.
If you're looking to show linux off to die hard Win fans, you can make XFCE look just like Win. My preference is menus at the bottom, so it helps.

Linux Mint Cinnamon, and XFCE both look pretty much like Windows, with a "start menu" kind of thing and menus at the bottom. That may be considered a feature or a bug, it depends... :-)

Later,
JP