brent timothy saner via plug on 19 Dec 2019 12:05:40 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Recommendations for Linux Distro for Content Creation?

On 12/19/19 14:51, jeff via plug wrote:
>> And when I get bored, is there a way to play Windows games on Linux?
>
> WINE (it has a list of progs you can run and how well they run)
>
> also CrossOver (codeweavers.com/products) based on WINE

worth noting that if it's on Steam, they enabled the ability to use
Proton[0a] and Vulkan[0b] for *all* Windows games in their libraries.[1]
so Wine isn't really relevant if it's in your Steam library. There's a
good chance it works fine with Proton; it's done pretty well. there are
some that still require some fiddling (just as there always will be for
any platform/OS), but i'm genuinely pleased with the results.

for non-Steam games, you can still use e.g. Proton/Vulkan but it's
usually easier to just use Wine directly.

[0] [a] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proton_(compatibility_layer)
    [b] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulkan_(API)
[1]
https://steamcommunity.com/games/221410/announcements/detail/1696055855739350561