Keith C. Perry via plug on 20 Feb 2020 08:31:20 -0800

Re: [PLUG] MS linux

It is unfortunate but I would say that LinkedIn is a practically a necessary evil.  I personally would not knock someone for not having a presence there but quiet as kept I've seen people get knocked for not having one.  Its so bad now that people are even using LinkedIn instead of business cards.  I agree this is not as bad as demanding access to someone's Facecrap profile (if it isn't public) but far too many people responsible for hiring in mainstream corporate America don't know what they are doing and think that using a social network profile will provide magical insight into a person's professional viability.  It's ridiculous but then again, what did we think was going to happen?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Managing Member, DAO Technologies LLC
(O) +1.215.525.4165 x2033
(M) +1.215.432.5167
www.daotechnologies.com

From: "Chris Thistlethwaite via plug" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
To: "jeff" <jeffv@op.net>
Cc: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 20, 2020 11:17:22 AM
Subject: Re: [PLUG] MS linux

I haven't gone down the rabbit hole on this to figure it out, but it's not like they are requiring your GitHub ID. Also, if you have a LinkedIn profile, you better believe someone is going to look at it if you're applying for a job. Anyone that has made it far enough for their resume to fall on my desk gets a deep dive into searching the web for any info pertaining to them.

Idk, doesn't sound as extreme as some of the stories I've heard where employers will ask for your Facebook info during an interview. The entire purpose of LinkedIn is to have all your professional experience posted in an easy to read and standard format. If you don't have an account there, no problem, but if you do, then it's fair game to get combed over by potential employers.

-Chris T.