Chad Waters via plug on 3 Apr 2020 08:38:05 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Virtual Plug?

This isn't advocating using zoom for PLUG.. It is more of a response to the sudden backlash against them in the media:

1) The zoom-bombing thing: There are controls in place to control. These are opportunistic attacks on new users that are unfamiliar with the settings. In some cases it is being used inappropriately (PHD defenses? the school should be using webinar applications).

2) The zero days and other vulns: the application has gotten a lot of exposure in the last month. Of course it's going to get more security scrutiny. Judge Zoom on how they handle the issues.

3) Privacy issues: These are the more concerning issues. Most of it concerns the free accounts. Free as in beer. They have to monetize it somehow. Paid accounts have more controls. And yes there is even more stringent control for healthcare (as someone mentioned before. https://zoom.us/healthcare )*

* As a side note in healthcare: The Office of Civil Rights at HHS (the HIPAA enforcers) have temporarily waived the HIPAA security rule to allow consumer video app use for telemedicine. They would rather a clinician facetime a patient then have an office visit. https://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/for-professionals/special-topics/emergency-preparedness/notification-enforcement-discretion-telehealth/index.html

On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 10:58 AM Rich Freeman via plug <plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:
On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 8:20 AM Rich Kulawiec via plug
<plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:

> And it's unfixable.

Everything is fixable.

> 2.  At this very moment there are a lot of LUGs (and similar
> volunteer/dues-free organizations) trying to find a workable solution
> to roughly the same problem...and given that a lot of people involved
> in those have some extra time on their hands...this seems like a very
> opportune moment for someone (or a group of someones) to either work on
> an existing project that shows promise or start a new one.

Like the one we're already using, which is 100% FOSS?  I can't speak
to their hosting - as I understand it everything is FOSS and you could
host it yourself, but since this stuff is bandwidth-intensive nobody
wants to deal with that.

It almost makes you think that the only companies who get into this
stuff are companies that want to monetize it.

I have no idea what the jit.si business model is.  Maybe they're still
in the free-venture-capital-to-get-noticed stage and there are no
strings attached yet.  At some point if it takes off I'm sure the code
will still be FOSS but if you want the service somebody will want some
money or data from you.

> kind of filth who run and staff Zoom

Ah, yes, dehumanizing criticism.  People build something you don't
like, therefore they are literally dirt.

Look, if you're using a SERVICE that is free, chances are that it is
either incidental to provide, or you're being monetized.  Video
conferencing is NOT incidental to provide - it is high-bandwidth
realtime communication.  If it includes phone dial-in you also get to
pay for access to the phone system.

If you want a commercial provider who isn't going to monetize you then
there are plenty of companies who will gladly sell you this service
and it is ad-free and facebook-free and all that good stuff.  And it
no doubt comes with a hefty monthly fee.  Maybe for an FOSS community
one of them might be willing to waive this, but you're still going to
be dealing with proprietary clients that probably don't run on linux
outside of a browser.  Oh, and it probably won't work on lynx either.

> I'm busy with other projects and I don't particularly care about video
> conferencing so I'm not volunteering.

Wow, plenty of time to criticize, not much time to contribute?
Clearly the PLUG community is fully embracing the spirit of modern
FOSS.  :)

With FOSS you get the code for free.  It is a beautiful thing.  The
code usually doesn't come with hosting services, dial-in phone
numbers, and all that good stuff.  If it does it either comes with a
ton of strings, or it depends on the whim of some start-up that is
going to eventually burn through its money.

--
Rich