Keith C. Perry via plug on 3 May 2020 15:15:13 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Dipping my toe into home automation water

Bhaskar,

Not sure if I've said it here or on other automation forums but I strongly recommend people start with smart plugs (easiest) and then in wall switches or outlets (need easiest).  If you're comfortable with electrical work then I would agree that is a good place to start.

Have you decided on an automation platform yet?

BTW, last month I added a similar automation to my system for my external lights.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Managing Member, DAO Technologies LLC
(O) +1.215.525.4165 x2033
(M) +1.215.432.5167
www.daotechnologies.com

From: "K.S. Bhaskar via plug" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Sent: Sunday, May 3, 2020 6:04:04 PM
Subject: [PLUG] Dipping my toe into home automation water

I need to replace a timer for some outside lights and I wonder whether I can use a Honeywell ZW4005 switch (currently available from Costco at https://www.costco.com/honeywell-z-wave-smart-light-switch%2c-2-pack.product.100579237.html). Thus far I have only used stand alone timers.

Is this a good place to put my toe into the water, and apart from the switches what else do I need so that I can program the lights come on at sundown and go off (say) at midnight? I have installed Ring doorbells connected to the Ring app on our phones, but that was about as easy falling off a log and I don't think that really counts as home automation.

Thank you very much, in advance.

Regards
– Bhaskar