Eric Lucas via plug on 20 May 2020 09:42:28 -0700

[PLUG] memory usage in Linux

I'm running Kubuntu 18.04 [1] on a Dell Laptop with a 2-core i7 [2] and 16 GB of RAM (the max apparently.)
I tend to leave lots of windows open on two or three of my four virtual desktops.
Sometimes things get slow (like participating in a zoom chat with a few dozen fellow homebrewers last night.)
I installed 'cockpit' to see what's up. All is okay except for RAM. It shows near 16GB of RAM used.
I seem to recall (from years ago) that Linux "hoovers up" all the RAM and then parcels it out to applications as needed.
If so, what's the point of telling me how much RAM I have used if it's always 99+%?
How do others monitor and/or manage RAM usage in Linux?

Thanks,
Eric Lucas

[1] - Yes, I should and will upgrade this week.
[2] - It was advertised as a 4-core because of hyperthreading or some other marketing B.S.
I'm still grumpy about that about 4 years later.