Rich Freeman via plug on 17 Jun 2020 03:00:09 -0700

Re: [PLUG] sshd as regular user

On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 6:27 PM Rita via plug
<plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:

> I am trying to run sshd as a regular user and different port (>1024).
>
> I created the keys and made a local copy of sshd_config. I set
> UsePriviledgeSeperation  no
> UserPAM no
>
> I start up the server like this. sshd -D -d -p 8888 -f sshd_config
>
> It starts up.
>
> But, I keep seeing setgroups() failed: Operation not permitted
>
> Is there a way to go around this?

Almost certainly - what version of openssh are you running here?

According to the openssh changelog it seems non-root operation is
supported, but there have been issues with it not working on some
releases.

Also, did you spell UsePrivilegeSeparation correctly in your actual
config file?  You misspelled it above and that would definitely cause
this problem.

--
Rich

--