David Collins via plug on 19 Jun 2020 18:49:05 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Micro PC-Mini

A coworker of mine has an earlier model of this and loves it. A lot of field technicians for industrial and similar types types of systems, as well as some network engineers, still require laptops with serial ports. There is a lot equipment used in embedded systems and network devices that needs a serial connection for programming or troubleshooting. Yes, you can use a USB adapter (and that's my preferred solution to the problem) but I frequently run into people that want a built-in serial port in case they forget the USB adapter or it doesn't work. I suspect that one of the markets they had in mind for the GPD handheld was field techs.

There's also this, if it would ever go into production:

https://pocket.popcorncomputer.com/