Walt Mankowski via plug on 20 Jun 2020 06:14:51 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Micro PC-Mini

On Sat, Jun 20, 2020 at 05:27:37AM -0400, Steve Litt via plug wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Jun 2020 19:20:53 -0400
> jeff via plug <plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:
>
> > Chech this out: laptop; roughly 3 cigarette packs. Or a ridiculously
> > thick cell phone.
> >
> > https://www.amazon.com/Industry-Portable-Computer-Notebook-Graphics/dp/B07QYZHM8F/ref=sr_1_7
> >

> > It's the little things.
>
> What kind of eyeglasses must one don to read the 6 inch screen? Back in
> the day, when I had 20/20 vision, I could easily read my 10 inch screen
> Kaypro 2x. But that was an 80x24 display, not a graphical thing for
> viewing websites on which the web designers think it's the height of
> chic to use 6 point fonts with thin, reedy typefaces, lightgray on
> white or midgray on darkgray. It has an HDMI port so you can bring along
> a useful sized screen, but doesn't that defeat the whole purpose?

Well, of course cellphones all have screens that size, but they run
applications that were designed with that size in mind. In fact with
that keyboard this kind of looks like what the Blackberry might have
evolved into.

> Except for the screen size it looks great. What am I missing?

Maybe the UIs for industrial equipment that still uses serial
interfaces were also designed in the days of 80x24 displays? :)

Walt