brent timothy saner via plug on 20 Jun 2020 21:15:37 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Micro PC-Mini

On 6/20/20 05:27, Steve Litt via plug wrote:

> What kind of eyeglasses must one don to read the 6 inch screen? Back in
> the day, when I had 20/20 vision, I could easily read my 10 inch screen
> Kaypro 2x. But that was an 80x24 display, not a graphical thing for
> viewing websites on which the web designers think it's the height of
> chic to use 6 point fonts with thin, reedy typefaces, lightgray on
> white or midgray on darkgray. It has an HDMI port so you can bring along
> a useful sized screen, but doesn't that defeat the whole purpose?
>
> Except for the screen size it looks great. What am I missing?

I've had a couple GPD's over the years. They, paired with a tethering
mobile if you're going to be in an area with no public wifi, are
*fantastic* if you're on-call but want to head to the pub. They fit in
the back pocket of jeans, they're fast to boot up and go.

Sure, I have connectbot on my Android, but it is infinitely more painful
to handle that sweet spot where you don't plan on using it as a
workhorse, but you don't want to be limited to stay inside because it's
your turn to make sure the machines don't go crazy.

That's where this comes in. Aside from running something like console
emulators or the like, maybe. It may be a highly nuanced use, but it's a
great use that fills the niche like nothing else can.