David Collins via plug on 10 Jul 2020 18:48:04 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Remote to an Ubuntu desktop

And you can tunnel either of them through the existing ssh connection that you've been using. I use the x11vnc package in the standard Ubuntu repository to connect to my machine at work regularly. It connects to an existing physical X session. There are other VNC servers, like TigerVNC, that can connect to an existing X session or create a virtual session that isn't connected to the physical keyboard/mouse/monitor.

If you aren't going to tunnel VNC through ssh make sure you use a VNC server with TLS capabilities and confirm that TLS is working. I still prefer the ssh method because it's easier to secure. If you restrict VNC to accept connections only from the local machine itself then you can use it over the port-fowarded connection through ssh but no one else can initiate connections to it from a remote machine.

X2Go is based on an older version of the NX protocol. Even though you are already connecting across a VPN I'd still say make sure you setup TLS with X2Go.