Rich Mingin (PLUG) via plug on 16 Jul 2020 22:31:21 -0700

Re: [PLUG] RAID-1 mdadm vs. Mobo H/W

Having been using ZFS for quite some time on FreeBSD, I'll just note that the features are no joke, and once you integrate snapshots into your workflow, you won't want to go back. The data integrity protection is very serious as well.

On Fri, Jul 17, 2020 at 12:57 AM Adam Schaible via plug <plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:
On Thu, Jul 16, 2020, at 21:21, JP Vossen via plug wrote:
> [mdadm vs. HW raid comparison]
>
> Am I failing to consider anything?  Any thoughts?

Since Mint is (technically) a *buntu distro, you also have a third option, ZFS on Linux aka ZoL:

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=306210

Single drive installation is basically brainless, however to boot from a mirrored root pool (RAID 1 equivalent) you do still have to jump through some hoops:

https://openzfs.github.io/openzfs-docs/Getting Started/Ubuntu/Ubuntu 20.04 Root on ZFS.html

Benchmarks show that ZoL has slower read/write performance and uses more RAM than mdadm but it claims more "features" (snapshot backups, file compression, "self healing" checksums for data integrity).

Since you already have a lot of experience with mdadm you'll probably want to stick with that, just letting you know ZoL exists and seems to be (slowly) gaining popularity :-)

Good luck with your installs,

--
  Adam Schaible
  plug@schibes.com