JP Vossen via plug on 16 Jul 2020 18:21:27 -0700

[PLUG] RAID-1 mdadm vs. Mobo H/W

I'm building 2 new PCs and I am wondering about RAID-1. I've been using mdadm RAID-1 for at least a decade with excellent results. But I haven't had to deal with (U)EFI up to now, and that's a mess, along with the fact that the Linux Mint/Ubuntu `Ubiquity` installer doesn't do RAID. :-(

I only care about RAID-1 (mirror) and Linux. I would not even consider Mobo RAID anymore more complicated than a mirror, but since a mirror is *so* simple...

Build details: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TGsDRk
* Asus ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard
* 2x M2 SSD/NVMe (2 different brands)
* LinuxMint-20 XFCE

mdadm
Pro
    It Just Works, always and everywhere (for Linux)
    It tells me when there is a problem
    I know how to do everything, including replace and grow
Con
    (U)EFI is painful on 2 disks, ongoing?
    Lack of installer support is REALLY painful...once
    Performance?

Mobo H/W
Pro
    Handles (U)EFI and installer lack-of-RAID because...
    ...Really easy and simple
Con
    Depends on the Mobo H/W, which limits (replacement/move) options?
        Does it still work if moved or split up
        But...RAID-1 is *s0* simple...
    I have no clue how to replace a bad drive
    I have no clue how to grow a drive
    Monitoring?

Am I failing to consider anything?  Any thoughts?

I'm leaning towards `mdadm` because I know and trust it and have scripted it, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

TIA,
JP