Rich Freeman via plug on 17 Jul 2020 16:36:45 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Best Solution for Multiple Volume Backups

On Fri, Jul 17, 2020 at 2:29 PM Steve Litt via plug
<plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Jul 2020 15:53:36 -0400
> Rich Freeman via plug <plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:
>

> > I don't think it supports multiple volumes (that is, the backup spans
> > more than one disk/etc), and I don't want to mess around with RAID and
> > so on to try to merge devices even where this is supportable.
> >
> > If it weren't for that there are actually a lot of solutions like
> > duplicity, restic, rsnapshot, rsync, and so on...
>
> I'm not sure why doing multiple disks, or volumes, etc, on a single
> backup, is so important.

It isn't, though most backup tools including the ones I just commented
on support it.

I'm not trying to backup multiple disks on a single backup.  I'm
trying to store one backup across multiple disks.

Eg, I have 16TB of data to backup, and I have a couple of 8TB drives
to store it on.

Sure, you can try to divide up the data into multiple backup commands,
but that gets tedious quickly.

I'll probably see how well I can tolerate bacula for this.  It
certainly is capable of doing the job.  It is just a bit overly
complex.  I can just treat 10TB hard drives the same as tape volumes
as if I have a single tape drive, and that should work in theory.

--
Rich

--
Rich