brent timothy saner via plug on 31 Jul 2020 09:11:53 -0700

Re: [PLUG] TRAMPFD?

On 7/31/20 06:38, Michael Lazin via plug wrote:

> ... which would be
> common in the open source community because there are many c programmers
> but few who code with security in mind.

[citation needed]

Don't mistake *transparency* about security issues in open-source
software with *prevalence*.

For a simple demonstration of this, compare the number of OpenSSH
vulnerabilities known through the years, where we have full view of the
entire process from reporting to fix, to the incredibly astounding
number of vulnerabilities in Microsoft's RDP and associated tools- *that
the public knows about* and which third-parties have disclosed.

I'd argue F/OSS has a better track record, considering they're the ones
where we can even *get* an accurate/semi-accurate number.