Rich Freeman via plug on 11 Aug 2020 11:50:49 -0700

Re: [PLUG] news

On Tue, Aug 11, 2020 at 2:40 PM Charlie Li via plug
<plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:

> Rich Freeman via plug wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 11, 2020 at 12:34 PM brent timothy saner via plug wrote:
> >>
> >> But yeah, he explained much more eloquently the point I'm trying to
> >> make. It's important to balance risk factor into the equation, and he
> >> explains why it's important here.
> >
> > It is also almost completely irrelevant in practice.
> >
> It is absolutely completely relevant in practice....nation-states and other actors...

Ok, yes, if you live in China and the government blocks SSL, then
obviously you can't use SSL.

I'm talking about everybody on this list who lives in the USA, where
nobody blocks SSL.

Look, if you want you can come up with a bazillion edge cases where it
doesn't make sense to use SSL, that altogether account for 0.1% of the
traffic most of us deal with.  If you want I can join in.  It doesn't
change my point.

My point is a general one, and I think it is generally true.
Obviously if you're in one of those weird situations where SSL doesn't
make sense, then don't use it.  That doesn't mean that it isn't the
best default.  If you're debugging some application and want to
disable SSL in development to check the traffic going over the
network, then do it.  You don't need my permission...  :)

--
Rich

--
Rich