Walt Mankowski via plug on 16 Aug 2020 05:14:55 -0700

[PLUG] Dear Google Cloud: Your Deprecation Policy is Killing You

This is a terrific essay/rant on software engineering and the
difficultly in balancing backwards compatibility, maintainability by
your internal developers, and usability by your external users. The
author specifically uses Google as an example but I think the points
he raises are faced by everyone in the industry.

It's got a bunch of great quotes, but I think my favorite was his
description of GNU Emacs (the editor I use) as "a sort of hybrid
between Windows Notepad, a monolithic-kernel operating system, and the
International Space Station."

(He also drops quite a few f-bombs, so don't click if that offends
you.)

https://medium.com/@steve.yegge/dear-google-cloud-your-deprecation-policy-is-killing-you-ee7525dc05dc