K.S. Bhaskar via plug on 22 Aug 2020 14:03:05 -0700

Re: [PLUG] best free FOSS progs 2020

Thanks for the feedback, Steve. Yes, we might do it differently if we were starting today, but code evolves and there is always the decision to be made about making small improvements vs. rewriting the entire thing. I wish that question had a simple answer.

Regards
– Bhaskar

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 5:24 PM Steve Litt via plug <plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:
On Thu, 20 Aug 2020 13:19:31 -0400
"K.S. Bhaskar via plug" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 10:35 AM Ron Nascimento via plug <
> plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:
>

> > On 8/20/20 8:40 AM, jeff via plug wrote:
> > > Sysadmin university: How to document code and scripts in Linux
> > > https://www.redhat.com/sysadmin/document-code-scripts
> >
> > I never see bash scripts with any documentation, which leads me to
> > believe that most bash scripts are written by non-programmers.
> >

> [KSB] I was going to ignore that last comment, but the “never” made
> me take the bait!
> https://gitlab.com/YottaDB/DB/YDB/-/blob/master/sr_unix/ydbinstall.sh
> does have comments, though the comments are a bit sparse (the
> original architect of the code base believed that developers should
> read code, not comments, when maintaining software, and therefore
> comments should document the developer's intent and the code should
> document the realization of that intent).

I think that script has just the right amount of comments.

> Any suggestions for improving the readability of that shell script are
> welcome, and we will extend any good ideas to improve our other
> scripting, although this is the most complex one we have.

My readability suggestion would be to write it in Python, Perl, Ruby or
Lua. /bin/sh is such an idiosyncratic language that, in my opinion,
it's good only for programs less than 150 lines long, and even that's
stretching it. But if you *have to* do it in /bin/sh, your program is
more readable than most.

SteveT

Steve Litt
http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive