Rich Freeman via plug on 27 Aug 2020 10:40:45 -0700

Re: [PLUG] news

On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 12:32 PM Rich Kulawiec via plug
<plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:

> By February 2020, they'd issued a billion certificates.  What's the value,
> on the open market, of control of that?  I'm asking that not-really-rhetorical
> question because that number, whatever it is, gives us a clue about what
> the potential attacker budget is and who they might be.

Sure, but if they're compromised the end result for users is the same
as if they didn't use encryption in the first place.

> 2. Encryption doesn't solve all privacy issues.

Of course.

> 3. Encryption doesn't necessarily make things more secure.  One side
> effect of encryption is that it makes things more interesting.  It is
> well known, for example, that PGP-encrypted email traffic is much more
> interesting than non-PGP-encrypted email traffic.  Consider how this
> observation, combined with consolidation of thousands of email systems
> into centralized ones, combined with the presence of insiders, yield
> an effective outcome that's, shall we say, less than optimal.
>
> Note that even if the encryption can't be cracked that this may still
> be an effective attack - because it facilitates traffic analysis.

How is the encrypted traffic not more secure than sending the same
exact traffic unencrypted?

Consolidation/etc seems like a completely different issue.  You can
consolidate your unencrypted traffic too, with all the same downsides.

> 4. Encryption can make some things less secure.  Consider the case
> of correspondents A and B who are encrypting the email messages
> they're exchanging.  One of the side effects of this is that neither
> A's nor B's MTAs can check the content of those messages.

It isn't encryption that is making things less secure here, but
removal of a layer of security.  You can screen message content while
still using encryption.  Obviously you need to do it at a point where
things are unencrypted.

This is really only an issue with E2E encryption.  For transport-layer
encryption this shouldn't be a problem, and that is what I was mostly
talking about here.

--
Rich