Rich Kulawiec via plug on 27 Aug 2020 10:18:19 -0700

[PLUG] stuff wanted: volunteers, network, old accounts

1.  If you're interested in paddlesports (kayaking, canoeing, etc.) and/or
rivers (conservation, science, etc.) and you'd like to volunteer with
a VERY large project being run by a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization, I'm
looking for people who either have some of these kinds of skillsets (below)
or want to acquire them.

- Unix (BSD)/Linux, related open source tools
- HTML, CSS, multilanguage sites, text-based web browsers, static web site generators
- the XML ecosystem, e.g., XSLT, XPath, XQuery
- legacy file formats, proprietary file formats, conversion tools
- document formats, image formats, video formats, audio formats
- search engines, e.g. solr, lucene, elasticsearch
- metadata concepts, metadata representation, e.g., Dublin Core
- sql, nosql, XML databases
- web scraping (e.g., scrapy), spiders
- scanning, digital image processing, optical character recognition (OCR), document parsing
- sysadmin: sendmail/postfix/exim/courier etc., BIND/unbound/etc., Apache httpd/nginx etc.
- shell scripting, Perl, Python, expect, awk, etc.
- revision control systems, e.g., RCS, subversion, git
- configuration management, e.g., salt, puppet, chef, ansible, etc.
- mailing list management including Mailman
- Usenet news: NNTP, INN, Diablo, leaf, etc.
- site replication/redundancy, load distribution, backups, disaster recovery
- applicable IETF and W3C standards
- ADA compliance, GDPR compliance, COPPA compliance, etc.
- GIS, GeoServer, QGIS, etc.

2. If you have a /24 or similar IPv4 network allocation that you aren't
using and don't need it, then this same paddling/river project could use it.

3.  Also wanted - for a completely different project - old/disused email
accounts at freemail providers, e.g., Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail/Outlook,
Gmail, etc.

If you have any of these, we could use them for an anti-spam project.
Accounts should be ones that you're willing to discard, because they'll
be unusable after this.  (And they should be scrubbed: we don't want
contacts or messages or anything like that.)

Note: we need accounts that support POP or IMAP.  Webmail-only accounts
won't work for us.  If they have 2FA then we need to be able to disable
it so that we can automate all this -- we're going to fetch every
incoming message and shove it into an analysis pipeline.

Reason: part 2 of a 3-part research project on spammer operations
studying pathways by which addresses are harvested and targeted.
This is in part a blind test, which is why we can't use the ones we
ourselves have created.

---rsk