Carl Johnson via plug on 28 Aug 2020 19:57:54 -0700

Re: [PLUG] How to celebrate a half century of computing?

High beams? Rotate the distributor? When I was your age sonny, we had a lever under the steering wheel for the advance/retard, and a crank in the front to start the engine.

:-)

I'm really only in my 40's though.

On Fri, Aug 28, 2020, 9:38 PM jeff via plug <plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:
On 8/28/20 5:13 PM, K.S. Bhaskar via plug wrote:
> Next month, it will be 50 years since I wrote my first computer program
> (FORTRAN IV punched cards to calculate the roots of a quadratic
> equation, running on an IBM 1620 Model 1). I'm trying to think of what
> might be a good way to celebrate, since the odds are against my being

Reproduce it, while listening to music on your tube stereo. Use those
little yellow adapters for your 45's.

Then get some leaded gas, huge tires, and roll down your window in the
land yacht. Crack the little triangular window too. If it gets dark, the
bright switch is under the emergency brake pedal. If the car starts to
sputter, reach in and turn the distributor by hand. Don't forget, you'll
need 8 spark plugs for your tune up. If you forget which kind, there's a
pay phone on the corner to call home.

Stop at the library to get some books for the kids, or they won't be
able to do their reports for school, maybe some typewriter ribbon too.
Two Guys will probably have school supplies and you can get clothes at
Korvette's, but all the kids are wearing plaid pants. I got one of those
erasable pens, but they're unusable if you're left handed - everything
gets oh the side of your hand.

Art Buchwald has a really funny book on Watergate - you can pick it up
at Walden Books in the mall.