Walt Mankowski via plug on 25 Sep 2020 17:16:39 -0700

Re: [PLUG] ESR: Last phase of the desktop wars

On Fri, Sep 25, 2020 at 08:00:24PM -0400, JP Vossen via plug wrote:
> ESR's latest http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=8764 is entitled "Last phase
> of the desktop wars?"  I found it really interesting, but I was very
> surprised that he didn't mention that this is *exactly* what Apple
> did with MacOS, except they put their GUI and walled garden on top
> of BSD and not Linux.

Apple's user and development communities were orders of magnitudes
smaller, and they made their devs rewrite their apps using a
completely different API, programming language, and design
language. It's hard to imagine Microsoft doing that.

Walt