Keith via plug on 22 Oct 2020 12:52:54 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Linux mount of Windows share keeps dropping

On 10/22/20 2:37 PM, Walt Mankowski via plug wrote:
Hi,

At work my desktop runs ubuntu 18.04.5. We're encouraged to keep most
of our work on a Windows share (the "H drive") because it's
automatically backed up and can be mounted anywhere.

I mount the share with the following command (with obvious changes):

  sudo /sbin/mount.cifs //path/to/share ~/H_drive/ -o
  username=<username>,dom=<dom>,uid=$USER,forceuid,gid=$USER,forcegid,dynperm,nobrl,vers=1.0

This worked fine for about a year, but lately it's been disconnecting
constantly after just a short period of idle. As you can imagine it's
quite frustrating and disruptive having to constantly umount and
re-mount the drive many times a day.

I've opened a ticket with our IT department, but since we're primarily
a Windows shop there's a good chance they won't know the answer. (Plus
there's a 3 day turnaround for help tickets!)

In the meantime I was wondering if anyone might have run into this
problem and if they have any ideas for fixes.

Thanks.

Walt

I haven't run into that in a awhile and I would have to know more about the environment but typically with Windows I end up using "broad sword"  and inelegant tactics because root cause solutions are often not available (or definitive).  For the record, the last time I saw this happening, it actually was a network issue.  Windows is a bit sensitive in that regard so this could be a server side issue.  There are a couple of registry settings I had to roll out to my Windows 10 users last year to address a similar issue (Windows 10 clients losing their network connections to a Samba 4 server).  As a I recall that mostly was a compliant about performance issues (e.g. why is the network so slow?) and not an outright disco.

What I would ask/suggest is have you tried cron'ing or doing an infinite loop script to remount for your share shorter than your observed disconnect time?

Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Managing Member, DAO Technologies LLC
(O) +1.215.525.4165 x2033
(M) +1.215.432.5167