Steve Litt via plug on 3 Nov 2020 00:03:48 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Copying files to multiple volumes

On Thu, 29 Oct 2020 10:35:06 -0400
"K.S. Bhaskar via plug" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:

> You can of course extend the boustrophedon heuristic to n drives, if
> you have the drives, e.g., largest file on drive 1, next largest on
> drive 2, next two on drive 3, next on drive 2, next two on drive 1,
> etc. And maybe two drives will suffice if you compress each file
> before storing it.

Bhaskar,

Long ago I made a backtracking algorithm (Ruby) to best-fit a bunch of
files onto a bunch of volumes. Can you spell overkill? I like your idea
much better.

SteveT

Steve Litt
http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive