Rich Freeman via plug on 25 Nov 2020 05:40:57 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Low-Latency Audio

On Wed, Nov 25, 2020 at 6:46 AM Casey Bralla via plug
<plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:

> When I move into an apartment, I won't be able to run this cable, but
> still want to have the same level of service.   I could encode the music
> and distribute it via wireless networking with a raspberry pi at each
> end, but I suspect the audio would be crappy from the Pi, and the
> coding/decoding latency means that music played in 1 room would be out
> of sync with music from another.

I've personally been using Google Home and audio casting for this
purpose.  It isn't perfect, but it works fairly well, and the audio is
synced.  The speakers obviously aren't high-end.  The main issue I've
had is that when casting to a group sometimes not every device in the
group gets included so you have dead zones.

There are probably linux-based solutions that do things right, and I'm
very interested in what you find.

One thing I've found is that a lot of FOSS software gets audio wrong,
unless it is designed specifically for serious audio work.  A lot of
general contributors are college students who listen to
audio/video/etc on their laptops.  So, support for 5.1 isn't always
universal.  During the early years of Android community versions of
the OS often broke bluetooth stereo in various ways, again because at
that time the stuff that supported it tended to be more expensive or
less common.

Something that does network multicast with some kind of timecode for
syncing would seem to be the ideal solution here, but that is also
something that isn't so common.

--
Rich