Rich Freeman via plug on 28 Nov 2020 14:35:16 -0800

Re: [PLUG] IoT Unravelled: parts 1 to 5

On Sat, Nov 28, 2020 at 3:45 PM Chad Waters via plug
<plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:

> Related: This bill recently passed the house and senate and is awaiting a presidential signature. Compells NIST to formulate security standards for IoT devices.
>
> https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/116/hr1668

Didn't read the gory details, but how likely do you think that NIST
comes up with standards like this:

* Encouraging open-source
* Mandatory security updates for 10 years
* Safeguards to only allow user-authorized firmware changes

vs:

* Can only run vendor-signed firmware
* Remote access by NSA in case they need to rapidly deploy a security hotfix
* Blocks access to hacking tools like ssh, linux, etc.

I'd love to see security for IoT stuff, but it just seems like this is
the sort of thing the government often gets wrong.

--
Rich