Walt Mankowski via plug on 28 Nov 2020 19:21:50 -0800

Re: [PLUG] IoT Unravelled: parts 1 to 5

On Sat, Nov 28, 2020 at 05:26:13PM -0500, Rich Freeman via plug wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 28, 2020 at 3:45 PM Chad Waters via plug
> <plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:
> >
> > Related: This bill recently passed the house and senate and is awaiting a presidential signature. Compells NIST to formulate security standards for IoT devices.
> >
> > https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/116/hr1668
> >

> Didn't read the gory details, but how likely do you think that NIST
> comes up with standards like this:
>
> * Encouraging open-source
> * Mandatory security updates for 10 years
> * Safeguards to only allow user-authorized firmware changes
>
> vs:
>
> * Can only run vendor-signed firmware
> * Remote access by NSA in case they need to rapidly deploy a security hotfix
> * Blocks access to hacking tools like ssh, linux, etc.
>
> I'd love to see security for IoT stuff, but it just seems like this is
> the sort of thing the government often gets wrong.

Who knows in this case, but NIST has a pretty good track record in
standards development in general. I just spent a few minutes poking
around on their website to see what this was all about.  If anyone is
interested in the gory details, they've got a video and lots of info
on cybersecurity and IoT at
https://www.nist.gov/video/what-internet-things-iot-and-how-can-we-secure-it

And remember, the great thing about standards is that there are so
many of them!

Walt