K.S. Bhaskar via plug on 8 Dec 2020 11:10:24 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Defaulting the domain for a name lookup

Rich –

This is what /etc/resolv.conf says:

# cat /etc/resolv.conf
# Generated by NetworkManager
search mybands.local
nameserver 127.0.0.53
#

But this is after my last post, when I reported on the hack of statically assigning the IPv6 address that the system booted up with.

Regards
– Bhaskar

On Tue, Dec 8, 2020 at 2:03 PM Rich Freeman <r-plug@thefreemanclan.net> wrote:
On Mon, Dec 7, 2020 at 5:20 PM K.S. Bhaskar via plug
<plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:

> Pinging another machine on the same network works only with a domain name (pinging this machine from the other machine works without the domain name). According to man resolved.conf, if I create a file under /etc/systemd/resolved.conf.d/ with a Domains = line that should work, but it does not (I have tried spaces around the = but that does not make a difference).

Are you actually using systemd-resolved?  What is in /etc/resolv.conf?
 If it isn't pointing to systemd-resolved then anything you stick in
/etc/systemd will have zero impact on resolution.

If you're using resolved then /etc/resolv.conf will point to some DNS
server running on localhost, which will be resolved.

--
Rich