Tone Montone via plug on 13 Dec 2020 07:38:16 -0800

Re: [PLUG] CentOS

My understanding is that Fedora is the source of Red Hat.  It’s free and open source.  Red Hat sold their software but made the source available for free to maintain the spirit of open source. CentOS is a compiled version of Red Hat, which is offered for free.  So if you wanted to take a RHEL cert, or wanted to understand Red Hat, you could use CentOS as it was nearly identical.  Scientific Linux was also very similar too, but that canceled last year because they claimed CentOS was available.

In my experience, as Linux was becoming more popular, circa 1997, many companies and government agencies didn’t want to use it because it didn’t come with support. i.e. No CYA.  Red Hat provided that mechanism of support and patching, so it made it acceptible.  Many government agencies and sub contractors were forbidden to use software that did not come with support contracts.  I think it was political to save encroachment to big money companies like Sun, HP, IBM, and Microsoft. My impression anyway.

Sent from my iPhone