Eric Riese via plug on 20 Dec 2020 13:55:50 -0800

Re: [PLUG] git server

Hosted Gitlab a.k.a. gitlab.com is probably the answer. If you have a
problem with it you can migrate to your own self-hosted instance.

https://docs.gitlab.com/ce/user/project/import/gitlab_com.html

Just hosting plain git over ssh will give you a really spartan
experience compared to having an issue tracker and wiki and merge
requests and CI/CD. I've been consistently impressed at how fast
GitLab has added features.

I set up a self-hosted GitLab at my previous job. It was one of a
couple related VMs on the same machine, like Jenkins and Mattermost
and Redmine, so a lot of the initial setup effort was amortized across
those. I didn't have any particular struggles with it.

I first set it up before they came out with the "omnibus" install
which included Mattermost which I was interested in. So I installed
Mattermost independently and later tried to migrate that into the
omnibus install, which was probably not a popular upgrade path so that
wasn't so easy, but that was the worst of it and would be irrelevant
for you.

I would say if you have some experience and comfort with deploying VMs
or containers and you find a matching deployment method then it should
work just fine. The .deb package installs fine on a plain Ubuntu
install. I just wouldn't want to try to run anything else on the same
machine without some sort of containerization or VM. I always enjoyed
doing updates because it had this wonderfully verbose and attractive
output from Chef.

I used Turnkey Linux images on the first generation of the
aforementioned project. But I made a mess when I tried to upgrade
their MySQL instance in place, so when I set up the second generation
I went with plain Ubuntu installs for everything. In retrospect I
should have used Proxmox.