JP Vossen via plug on 18 Dec 2020 09:16:30 -0800

Re: [PLUG] git server

On 12/17/20 11:24 PM, Peter Cramer via plug wrote:
A friend and I are working on a small project together.  (There likely will be more projects in the future.)   Originally we planned to create a repository on GitHub, but the truth is neither of us is all that thrilled with GitHub now that it has been bought out by Microsoft.

We are considering setting up our own git server on an Ubuntu machine that we have access to.   Does anyone have any experience in this area?   Is it crazy difficult?   Any thoughts / advice?

If you want to try a bunch in a hurry see:
* https://www.turnkeylinux.org/git
* https://bitnami.com/stacks?q=git

Unlike Fred I am NOT a fan of Atlassian or any of their tools.  First, they are all Java, so you get less than half the performance for more than twice the resources, AND all the pain and insecurity of dealing with Java.  Second, they are all totally different tools they half-assedly munged together (Jira, Confluence, BB, etc.), so the UX is the-same-yet-different.  That doesn't matter if you only use 1 tool, but...

I'd vote Gitlab for this use-case, via one of the "packages" above to simplify install and upkeep.

Good luck,
JP