Fred Stluka via plug on 18 Dec 2020 09:06:03 -0800

Re: [PLUG] git server

Peter,

I did this on my own server 10 years ago.  As others have already
pointed out, all it took was an ssh server since Git uses ssh as its
transport layer.  Plus some fancy permissions so that different
users could all write to the same repo directory tree.

But in the end it wasn't worth the trouble.  Within a few months,
I moved my Git repo to BitBucket.  BitBucket, GitHub, GitLab and
others all host Git repos for free or cheap.  And they wrap it in
all sorts of really useful additional functionality like easy forking,
pull requests, push hooks, usage graphs/charts, notifications,
integration with CI/CD servers like Jenkins, etc.

I used GitHub on one project and found it to be pretty much the
same as BitBucket.  But, when Microsoft bought GitHub, I ran away
screaming.  I figured lots of other Open Source folks would do
the same, and that they'd largely flee to BitBucket.  Since BitBucket
is owned by Atlassian (JIRA bug/feature tracking, Confluence wiki,
etc.), I bought some Atlassian stock.  Sure enough, it took off like
a rocket.  One of my best stock picks ever!

Feel free to contact me here, or via direct email, if you want more
info.

--Fred
Fred Stluka
Bristle Software, Inc.