K.S. Bhaskar via plug on 26 Dec 2020 09:29:32 -0800

Re: [PLUG] OT: SolarWinds

On Sat, Dec 26, 2020 at 8:01 AM Rich Freeman via plug <plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:
On Wed, Dec 23, 2020 at 7:56 AM Rich Kulawiec via plug
<plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:

> Nearly four hundred million dollars in revenue in just nine months and
> they were unwilling to drop a few hundred thousand on mail infrastructure
> and administrators.  No, instead they saved the money and cheerfully
> indulged in what is well-known to be a worst practice.

Only on an FOSS mailing list will you hear somebody just toss out that
using Office365 is "well-known" to be a worst practice.

[KSB] True, that. But in their 40 year history, Microsoft does leave behind it a trail of misleading statements (especially about security), misrepresentation of facts, procrastination and lack of timeliness of fixes, different versions of facts, etc. I'm reminded of “The Blind Men and the Elephant” (https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_poems_of_John_Godfrey_Saxe/The_Blind_Men_and_the_Elephant). While one may (or may not) say flat out that they lie, they clearly show different groups of people (users, the press, investors, developers, etc.) restricted and slightly different parts of the elephant so that some conclude that it's like a rope, another that it's like a rope, etc.

In FOSS is there nowhere to hide. Your code may be crap, but at least people who use it can use it knowing that it's crap.

Regards
– Bhaskar

--
Rich