Rich Kulawiec via plug on 19 Dec 2020 10:07:56 -0800

Re: [PLUG] OT: SolarWinds

On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 11:40:10AM -0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
> > However, based on what we do know as of this moment: anybody still running
> > SolarWinds should rip it out by the roots right now and activate their
> > procedures for archiving/scrubbing/rebuilding compromised systems.
>
> While I get your argument, keep in mind the likely consequence of
> everybody doing this would be that in the future vendors will cover up
> any security issues and not inform their customers of compromises like
> this.

I have thoughts about this. ;)

First, vendors are *already doing that*.  Why shouldn't they?  The playbook
is always to delay notification, to pretend they didn't know, to minimize
the scope and impact, to claim they take security seriously, etc.
That's not going to change until there are real consequences.  Why should it?

Second, every day since this breach has been publicly disclosed, it's gotten
worse.  Let me go out on a limb here and predict that tomorrow it will get
worse again, and the next day, and the next day.  Based on what we already
know, I stand by my statement above.  Anything touched by SolarWinds should
be presumed compromised and hostile, and should be burned down.

Third, that's exactly what's happening, right now, as I'm typing this, in
some operations I have visibility into.  It has to, because it would clearly
be unprofessional and irresponsible to allow known-compromised systems to
just keep running.  This is true in any environment but especially so for
those which handle personal data, anything covered by HIPAA, by PCI DSS, etc.

That isn't specific to this incident: once a system is compromised, it's
game over.  It *cannot* be repaired.  It *must* be rebuilt.  This is a pain
in the ass and unpleasant and disruptive and expensive but it's the only way.

> Ultimately what matters is what a vendor does in the future, not what
> they've done in the past.

Let's run with that, for a moment.  Look at what Orion has done
*since* this has come out.

	- They failed to pull infected updates from their servers
	immediately

	- Forget pulling the updates, they should have instantly shut
	down their update servers so that anyone who hadn't already
	downloaded an infected update couldn't do so

	- They didn't advise all customers to shut down and remove
	all instances of their product, consider those systems as
	compromised, etc.

	- They scrubbed their web site of their customer list -- you know,
	the one that they were bragging about just days ago

	- They've been trying to minimize the scope of the problem by
	saying that "only" 18K systems were affected, even though we
	all know that every system/network those 18K could reach was
	also affected

This isn't a company focused on solving the problem.  This is a company
focused on covering its ass and preserving its market valuation.

---rsk