Eric Riese via plug on 21 Jan 2021 16:39:24 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Is there a better alternative LATEX?

I was looking at a LATEX based workflow for maintaining my resume. I
ultimately decided against it because it wasn't worth learning LATEX
just for that and there wasn't a good answer to generating a .docx
when necessary.

What I ended up with is that I use LibreOffice. But I save to a .fodt
format. That stands for flat ODT, meaning it's a single XML file, not
zipped. It behaves passably in git. Every save contains many more
changes than just what I intended, but at least it's something.

I also have a Makefile that builds .docx and Hybrid PDFs (that's a PDF
with an embedded ODT copy so it's edittable in LibreOffice at least)
from the .fodt and uploads it to my web server. Feels much better than
clumsily sftp'ing it and then sshing in, moving the files and changing
the permissions every time.

Just like what JP was suggesting, I was actually planning on putting
the zipping and unzipping in the Makefile before I found the .fodt
format.

For the curious: https://github.com/er2/resume