Aaron Mulder via plug on 18 Jan 2021 12:58:02 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Is there a better alternative LATEX?

For what it's worth, we've done an RPG book in LaTeX for many years (though there was a break at one point where it was a Word doc for a few years on account of the maintainer for that period): http://www.princecon.org/con-books/

Here's the wrapfigure code we've used (not necessarily applicable to your situation, but just in case...):

\newenvironment{Sidebar}[2][0in]
  {\newcommand{\SidebarCloser}{\vspace{#1}}\hspace{-.35in}
\wrapfigure{r}{0.4\textwidth}\tcolorbox\setlength{\parskip}{3pt}{\centering\textbf{#2}\par}}
  {\endtcolorbox\SidebarCloser\vspace{-0.3in}\endwrapfigure}

Sample usage:

\section{Step 2: Race}\label{creation:Race}

\vspace{-0.5cm}\begin{Sidebar}{Character Creation Example}
Mr. Brannigan's background doesn't seem to fit many of the
non-human races.  Tony feels that races like Dwarves, Elves, or
\ifgrafts Eponai \else Hobbits \fi
would have more of a dedicated mission for their
younger sons, and it's only humans who would find themselves
wandering through life more aimlessly.  In addition, playing a
human will let Mr. Brannigan take an additional skill and feat
to represent his educated upbringing.

Tony chooses Human for Mr. Brannigan.
\end{Sidebar}

Every player character is a member of one of the races listed here.
Each race has specific advantages and disadvantages, summarized in
the Player Races Table.  Beyond the statistics, though, each race brings
a certain flavor to your character, making it a key part of the
character concept.

How it looks in PDF:

Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 7.30.47 PM.png

It has definitely been my experience that I need to get all the content into the book, and then afterward do a pass where I tweak all the spacing and positioning to get the output PDF to look right.  The perfect layout doesn't come for free.  But my experience with DocBook was that there wasn't even the possibility of doing that much.

Thanks,
      Aaron

P.S. is the movie Aliens?  :)