Charlie Li via plug on 17 Jan 2021 14:21:44 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Is there a better alternative LATEX?

JP Vossen via plug wrote:
> Food for thought: `.odt` files (or even `.docx` files) are really just
> zip files containing XML and other stuff.  The XML part is *not* as
> human readable as any of the wiki markups we've talked about, but you
> can puzzle it out, it *is* revision controllable and it produces at
> least somewhat useful diffs.  You'd have to build a quick wrapper to
> pull the XML out then commit both XML and zip, but...you could.  It's
> not ideal, but it's a lot better than "binary files differ."

Flat XMLs can be opened and saved directly from the word processor; no
(re-)packing formalities needed. For the OpenDocument format, the file
extension is .fodt.

--
Charlie "lines of text follow social distancing rules" Li

with vishwin for off-list communication)