JP Vossen via plug on 17 Jan 2021 13:15:23 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Is there a better alternative LATEX?

On 1/17/21 1:53 AM, John Karr via plug wrote:
I looked at asciidoctor and decided that it is better than the pandoc/markdown/latex frankenstien, except for one thing, there is an established issue in asciidoctor-pdf that it can't do what wrap-figure does (when it works), which is due to a limitation in the upstream ruby module, the accepted workaround is to convert to docbook and then to pdf.

Ouch.

I wasn't game for looking at yet another document generation system and its faults, gave up and went to Libre-Office Writer. Inferior from a document management standpoint, but mostly better at formatting, and at least with WSIWYG one generally sees the formatting problems while working.

Oh well, good luck.

Food for thought: `.odt` files (or even `.docx` files) are really just zip files containing XML and other stuff.  The XML part is *not* as human readable as any of the wiki markups we've talked about, but you can puzzle it out, it *is* revision controllable and it produces at least somewhat useful diffs.  You'd have to build a quick wrapper to pull the XML out then commit both XML and zip, but...you could.  It's not ideal, but it's a lot better than "binary files differ."

Whether that juice is worth the squeeze is a different question only you can answer.  :-)

Later,
JP