Mark Bergman via plug on 3 Feb 2021 16:06:33 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Backup solution

In the message dated: Tue, 02 Feb 2021 23:31:48 -0500,
The pithy ruminations from Robert via plug on
[[PLUG] Backup solution] were:
=> Hello,
=>
=> I am looking for a good backup solution for my home system. I've been
=> running dd and making a complete backup of my system but this requires
=> that I stop the system and the boot from USB to get this done.
=>
=> Now I'm looking for a better solution.  I prefer a bare bones backup if
=> at all possible but anything really close to this with minimal OS
=> install would be great.
=>
=> Any suggestions?

There are many possible backup solutions, but without knowing your needs & constraints
any suggested backup system is just a guess.

For example, these are some of the questions that you might want to answer for yourself when thinking about how & why you do backups:

	how much data do you have to backup (total volume for a "full" backup)

	how much (volume) data changes in a given time (frequency)

	what's your comfort level with potential data loss -- do you need a full backup every 4 hours or
	every 4 months? Do you need an incremental backup nightly or weekly? Etc., etc.

	do you need multiple backups (ie., 4 fulls, spanning 1 year) or is a single copy sufficient

	do you need to store backups off-site

	how much time can a backup take to complete (impact on system performance, files changing during the backup, data loss window)

	how many machines are being backed up -- are they networked

	what OS[es] are being backed up

	is commercial backup software acceptable, or free only

	do the backups need to be encrypted

	how much effort can you expend in configuring the system, making backups, and testing restores

	what's your budget

	what is the primary risk you're trying to mitigate via backups (for example: accidental deletion of individual files,
	silent file corruption, failure of primary hard drive, legal requirement for audit trail)

Mark

=>
=> --
=>
=> Regards,
=> Robert
=>
=>
=> Smile, it increases your face value.........
=>
=> Philadelphia Linux Users Group         --        http://www.phillylinux.org
=>

--
Mark Bergman    Biker, Rock Climber, SCUBA Diver, Unix mechanic, IATSE #1 Stagehand
'94 Yamaha GTS1000A^1					      2015 Aprilia Caponord