Eric Lucas via plug on 4 Mar 2021 12:27:10 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Chime

Hi Jeff et al:

Yeah, that's "know your customer" for banks. I did some reading on this topic years back...
Bank transactions in excess of $10K automatically generate a SAR (Suspicious Activity Report) and repeated transactions of less than $10K (say, 3 deposits or withdrawals of $3500) can generate a SAR and also can subject you to legal action for "structuring" your transactions to avoid the $10 limit. Just enter: structuring crime into duckduckgo.com and see for yourself.

Several years ago a small grocer kept depositing his cash & check store receipts in amounts less than $10k.
This triggered an investigation for structuring and his accounts were frozen.
It turns out his insurance only covered losses of cash (via robbery for example) of less than $10K.  DOH!
After legal action (on his part and with his own $) he eventually regained access to his own money.

If anybody wonders why I'm a libertarian THAT ^!^  isn't the iceberg... it's just the visible part.

To bring this back to Linux: I'm opening a Proton email account this week and selecting the parts necessary to configure my workstation to dual boot into Qubes (qubes-os.org) just to explore the options. One big (BIG) hangup for me is that I have a Love-Love relationship with KDE and I believe I have to leave that behind to use Qubes :crying: :sobbing: :depression:

I keep promising to do a PLUG presentation about Qubes but it's hard to do that without actually, you know, *using it* ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oh, this looks cool too:  https://tech.slashdot.org/story/21/03/02/213209/google-free-e-os-is-now-selling-preloaded-phones-in-the-us-starting-at-380

Eric