Fred Stluka via plug on 24 Mar 2021 13:38:18 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Web Ass Pfirewall

Keith,

Iptables is still pretty good for blocking / choking traffic.  You can automatically block bad actors / abusive IPs by using the various limit modules.  One of my favorite rules simply blocks SSH ingress based on packets per hour.  You exceed the limit, you get blocked for a certain amount of time.

Can you do that with iptables alone?  Or does it need something
like fail2ban to change the iptables rules dynamically?

It works beautifully and is just one rule.

Care to post the rule?

Thanks!
--Fred