LeRoy Cressy via plug on 31 Mar 2021 05:38:39 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Yipes! Those Web Ads are KILLING Me!

On 3/31/21 5:13 AM, Casey Bralla via plug wrote:
There was a power glitch in my apartment last week that took out my
raspberry pi which had been running Pi-Hole ad blocker.   So now,
everything on my home network is using straight DNS whithout any blocking.

Yipes!  It is astounding how MANY ads there are, how targeted they are
at me, how frequently offensive they are, and how absolutely
overwhelming they are.  Worse, they take several seconds to load on my
45 MBit FiOS connection, which means the web page rebuilds itself while
I'm trying to read it.   Yech!!!!

This is the same reason I gave up on cable TV years ago.  I'd rather pay
for Amazon Prime or Netflix than be bombarded by so much targeted (and
frequently offensive!) ad content.

What a sorry state the web is.  I guess there is no free lunch, and ads
pay the bills, but what an unpleasant experience.   I'm especially
confused by sites like slashdot, which techy people (who presumably
block most ads) visit.  Do the advertisers know that most sane people
block their ads?

I don't have a solution to the larger problem, but I'm gonna rebuild my
pi-hole machine ASAP.

Rant mode off.

It might be a good idea to use a VPN.  Since I have been using protonmail I have been using their vpn and mail bridge which are great tools.  The VPN tool uses openvpn for linux access.  The plus program allows up to 5 devices to connect to the vpn.  protonmail tools include PKGBUILD files that will create a ARCH Linux package and they also have deb files for those who use Debian.  Good product for the price.

--
 Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy  mailto:rev.cressy@prontonmail.com 	 /\_/\
 								( o.o )
								 > ^ <
		       Cell Phone:  267-668-9686

gpg fingerprint:  8AD5 35EF 1FDF F1A7 E483  8CCE A50D 4E81 C34B 77CC

For info on gpg:		https://gnupg.org/
For secure Cell Phone:		https://whispersystems.org/

You can find me on the following:

Social Media:
	minds.com		https://www.minds.com/lrcressy/
	gab.com			https://gab.com/the-rev
	pocketnet.app		https://pocketnet.app/therev
	flote.app		https://flote.app/therev
	mewe.com		https://mewe.com/i/revleroycressy
	xephula.com		https://xephula.com/therev
	parler.com		https://parler.com/profile/lrcressy/posts
		Twitter Censors Some Posts
	twitter.com		https://twitter.com/lrcressy

Video:
	ugetube.com		https://ugetube.com/@the-rev
	bitchute.com		https://www.bitchute.com/channel/the-rev/
	brighteon.com		https://www.brighteon.com/channels/therev
	rumble.com		https://rumble.com/user/lrcressy
	odysee.com		https://odysee.com/@the-rev
	bittube.tv		https://bittube.tv/profile/the-rev
		YouTube Censors My Posts and Suspends my account,
			thus no longer used