Casey Bralla via plug on 31 Mar 2021 05:08:00 -0700
[Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]
Re: [PLUG] Yipes! Those Web Ads are KILLING Me!
- From: Casey Bralla via plug <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- To: <email@example.com>
- Subject: Re: [PLUG] Yipes! Those Web Ads are KILLING Me!
- Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2021 08:07:44 -0400
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=sendinblue.com; q=dns/txt; s=mail; bh=i3nyaMzj0BDXyhxJW6yIqmEcuibeh/53uPnde12a1bs=; h=from:subject:date:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:in-reply-to:references:list-unsubscribe:x-csa-complaints:list-unsubscribe-post; b=mV+L/lIvZntLfZb8qFqWKdXZ9y1DHVloErIQ2lJ1LgQOxgGT5WWSEamc7K3xiDB3aS5+va4lZyy+ g8JFVDVysNsHhs3xp9GwgXCk6BtXJPPzB9N9GUwMTkZZbLJRDqVAJDe+j69FT+/yOBHvZHXTu2ub YxTBgXzddcg8yWu4D0A=
- Feedback-id: 184.108.40.206:2031218_-1:2031218:Sendinblue
- Origin-messageid: <28d037ba-4c0a-a62b-9385-3733d3d14f75@NerdWorld.org>
- Reply-to: Casey Bralla <MailList@NerdWorld.org>
- Sender: "plug" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:78.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/78.7.0
I hadn't thought about using the hosts file. It's a nice solution. Of
course, that is essentially what Pi-Hole does (If the address is an ad
server, it just gets ignored). Yes, I could always install an ad
blocker plug-in, but the elegance of Pi-Hole blocking ads across the
whole network at a single point is very appealing.
The real problem is simply the proliferation of people trying to
monetize my interests. I can't blame them for trying to make a living,
and it pays for the web, but what a terrible situation. I wish I had a
On 3/31/21 7:57 AM, jeffv via plug wrote:
> I get really good response (non-response) from a HOSTS list.
> there are addons here and there for different annoyances (FB is huge).
> On 3/31/21 5:13 AM, Casey Bralla via plug wrote:
>> There was a power glitch in my apartment last week that took out my
>> raspberry pi which had been running Pi-Hole ad blocker. So now,
>> everything on my home network is using straight DNS whithout any
>> Yipes! It is astounding how MANY ads there are, how targeted they are
>> at me, how frequently offensive they are, and how absolutely
>> overwhelming they are. Worse, they take several seconds to load on my
>> 45 MBit FiOS connection, which means the web page rebuilds itself while
>> I'm trying to read it. Yech!!!!
>> This is the same reason I gave up on cable TV years ago. I'd rather pay
>> for Amazon Prime or Netflix than be bombarded by so much targeted (and
>> frequently offensive!) ad content.
>> What a sorry state the web is. I guess there is no free lunch, and ads
>> pay the bills, but what an unpleasant experience. I'm especially
>> confused by sites like slashdot, which techy people (who presumably
>> block most ads) visit. Do the advertisers know that most sane people
>> block their ads?
>> I don't have a solution to the larger problem, but I'm gonna rebuild my
>> pi-hole machine ASAP.
>> Rant mode off.
>> Philadelphia Linux Users Group -- http://www.phillylinux.org
>> Announcements -
>> General Discussion --
> Philadelphia Linux Users Group -- http://www.phillylinux.org
> Announcements -
> General Discussion -- http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug
Philadelphia Linux Users Group -- http://www.phillylinux.org
Announcements - http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug-announce
General Discussion -- http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug